<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/19968790?origin\x3dhttp://akaiflutterby.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Red Flutterby

Random thoughts, whinging and whatnot from yours truly.

 

Insomnia =_=

I wish I could fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. Unfortunately, this rarely happens, unless I've been out til 4am and had a few drinks.

The cause of my insomnia is internal monologue. I have trouble shutting mine up. It just goes on and on about crap I already know (bit like my mother really). And the thing about internal monologue is that it has to form full sentences; sometimes even proper paragraphs. It's not simply linking one idea/thought to another.

Then it suggests that maybe I should blog about some of this crap. And it's not exactly intriguing stuff.
I don't think people want to know the reason why I fell out with my primary school friends is cos they're a little on the superficial side and one of them is selfish almost to the point of being evil. Or how one family who I'm related to are very very wealthy and 2 of the kids go to private schools even though they're only 10 and 7; child #3 is very very cute! ^^
(I'm now experimenting; maybe if I crap on about some of this it'll leave me alone)

So instead of getting 7.5hrs sleep, I end up getting around 6. Stupid brain! ><

But, having said all that, internal monologue is good when you want to reminisce. It's just like watching re-runs of your favourite TV show........*sigh*

Anyways, if you have any tips on how to shut up internal monologue or how to get to sleep quickly without using drugs or counting sheep, let me know!

 

for this post

 
Anonymous Anonymous Says:

I read a book or put on some slower songs on my ipod and set it to sleep in 30 min. If i'm not asleep by then, it's gonna be a long night.

 
 
Blogger Squee Pants Says:

Ya, I've also tried the music, but I get same reslut as Lachie. -.-

To Do Lists and problem solving are included in my internal monologue. ><

Maybe I'm too tense or stressed.

 
 
Blogger Jack Says:

If I use music to get to sleep, I have to loop one song and one song only. It used to be Sparks by Coldplay but lately I've switched to Delicate by Damien Rice.

If your brain won't shut off then there is no use in fighting it. It's just going to keep talking. You may as well keep a notepad beside your bed and write it down. Or draw things. Or just read a book to occupy your brain.

There is a popular low-tech solution for falling asleep but people might say I'd be a pervert for suggesting it. Also, it doesn't work if your imagination is lousy.

 
 
Anonymous Anonymous Says:

well your music is obviously not crap enough. Get more crappy sleep-inducing music. Classical/instrumental always works for me, and I have a ton of it thanks to stupid anime OSTs. Must clean out this shit some day.

Also, Jack, I don't think it works for women like that. They need to cuddle & talk afterwards remember.

 
 
Anonymous Anonymous Says:

when i have trouble sleeping i pretend i'm going shopping. and after the second store i enter mentally i'm asleep already....
sometimes i have internal monologue but i find that the more i say the more awake i get ...
i don't know y thinking abotu shopping makes me fall asleep... coz i love shopping... but once i start thinking about stuff i wanna buy when i'm lying in bed i snooze off pretty quickly :D

 
 
Anonymous Anonymous Says:

You love shopping so when you think about it you're peaceful/happy/something...and it helps you fall asleep.

Get a book, a simple book, not a novel because if you get into it you're screwed. Get like a life-philosophy book or something and just read it.

Music...I'm with Karan. Get classical/instrumental music, nothing loud/fast/crap to listen to...something that is quiet and slow.

My best method of falling to sleep, puzzle games!!! My PSP does wonder in that area (thanks guys!). It gets your mind thinking that you get tired because you just ain't supposed to working your brain like that at those hours.

Anyway, I think I've said more than enough.

 
 
Anonymous Anonymous Says:

I had that last night. Internal monologue, or more, obsessing over problem. I think it happens when I don't get enough excercise in a day. Sometimes it just happens. Mostly I've no choice but to get up and do stuff until it goes away. But working on the problem can just make it worse. 30 mins of music to relax sometimes helps, but I usually only do that because I want to listen to music, not because I'm having trouble sleeping. Seven sentences so far, haven't said anything.

 

Leave a Reply