Un-Vegan Shoes
Yes I know leather shoes are inherently not vegan, but now that I've applied leather conditioner to them, they are even less so. This is because the leather conditioner used contains neatsfoot oil and lanolin, amongst other things. This particular conditioner is supposed to be used for leather car seats, but as long as it contains the key ingredients, it should work on leather shoes. (I'm glad my brother is a car nut).
Interesting stuff, neatsfoot oil. Especially the rendering process used to extract it.
I want to wear my new $30 shoes from K-Mart to work everyday. They don't have stupid heels and they're cute. But they are still stiff and I struggle to keep them on for an hour let alone the whole day. Until they stretch and soften up, I'll have to keep slipping my shoes on and off while at my desk...and lots of toe wiggling.
I wonder how long it will take to break into these shoes. I wonder if there's a way to speed up the process (other than applying conditioner) without totally wrecking them. My reassurance lies with 2 other pairs of leather shoes that I own; shoes that annoyed the hell out of my feet when I first got them, but once they wore in, became the most comfortable shoes ever...and that was before I discovered neatsfoot oil.
Labels: Neatsfoot Oil, Shoes


for this post
Leave a Reply