<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/19968790?origin\x3dhttp://akaiflutterby.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Red Flutterby

Random thoughts, whinging and whatnot from yours truly.

 

Merry Christmas??

It's Christmas Eve and it still doesn't feel like Christmas.
Yes we're going to relos' place tonight for a big family dinner and yes tomorrow is our annual Christmas bbq, but for some reason it doesn't feel Christmassy. Which is why I haven't been wishing people Merry Christmas a lot this year.

Maybe it's cos I've finally realised that Christmas is not really something I should be celebrating. I'm not religious, period. Never have been. But I guess in the past there was still gift giving and whatnot which made things Christmassy. No more gifts cos (a) I don't need anything (except maybe a job and to fix up my slightly screwed up, abusive, annoying personality), and (b) I don't know what people want. I suspect(assume) they're in a similar situation where they've realised they have a lot of unused stuff accumulated in their room and they don't want people giving them even more stuff they don't need/want. Except for Lachie who may need some new shoelaces soon.

So, if there's no religious significance and there's no gift giving/receiving, what has Xmas become for me?
An excuse to catch up with people and eat lots. Good enough for me!

And on that note, any Christian friends I had will now label me "Infidel!" and will eventually stop talking to me.

Why am I so cynical? Who knows. It's probably just stupid hormones kicking in. (Stupid hormones!)

 

for this post

 
Anonymous Anonymous Says:

Gift giving is all about the spirit of the thing, never the actual object (or at least that's how I justify my series of crap presents.) I also wonder what the original spirit of Christmas was - the idea of a commercial, gift giving Christmas sounds like a recent one to me. I think that perhaps way in the past the whole idea of christmas was more like Easter, where it is more about the whole relgious aspect, not withdstanding the millions of eggs of course =)

 

Leave a Reply